Lake Windermere

Lake Windermere

Thursday 12 July 2012

Breakfast of Champions!

Huge week so far, averaging over 6k per swim and working hard. I am swimming 3.2K per hour and will increase this in the coming weeks and push up the average swim to over 10ks.
I have been asked a lot about what I eat before and on my swims. If I swim early, I won't have anything, but I will drink SIS energy drink during the swim and have energy gels as well. Disaster today as I discovered that my favourite gel shop in Peterborough has gone. Internet, here I come.
 If I start later in the morning I will have porridge, beetroot juice and a banana if I am swimming long. I do feel better swimming light so I don't eat huge amounts. The fuelling is done the day before. A word of warning. If you drink beetroot juice for energy, DON'T wee in the pool as it comes out bright pink!
 On the long cold open water swims I will also have water based hot chocolate from a baby's feeding cup.
It is a scientific fact that when you swim long distance you get starving hungry when you have finished. Peterborough has a great bacon roll cafe which is a welcome sight after swimming for hours on end! Breakfast of champions.
Don't forget.
God made rock and roll for you.

1 comment:


Setting off. 7am. Only 13 and a half hours to go!